We always talk about eating healthy food with the children, but many of the little ones upon questioning, are not really clear just what food is healthy. It's even a bit of a grey area for us adults...fruit yoghurts, homemade pizza and muffins - where do they fit in? Fruits and veges are a good start. So our main goal this week was to:
- name a variety of common fruits and veges
- identify a fruit v vege (quite tricky it seems)
- think about what food is treat food and what food is healthy food
We tied this all in with The Very Hungry Caterpillar story.
Some of our activities included:
- finding books both fiction and non fiction featuring healthy eating
- tasting veges and creating a bar graph of our favourite then interpreting the data
- PPT on common fruits / veges and treat food
- making fruit salad using fruit 'counters'.
- fruit and vegetable prints
- making a class story 'The Very Healthy Caterpillar'
- making fruit kebabs