Friday, December 11, 2015

CONVERSATIONS WITH A 4 YEAR OLD

Discussion during an outdoor supervision with a new child:
4 yo sprout: “Are you a boy or a girl?”
me: “I’m a girl.  How about you?  Are you a boy or a girl?”
4 yo sprout: “I’m a boy!” *eye roll*
*short period of comfortable silence in each others presence*
4 yo sprout: “I think you’ve got balls?”
*short period of uncomfortable silence with a though vomit - WTF!  How do I respond to this?   Maybe he meant he thinks I’m ‘ball-sy’?   He’s 4 he didn’t think that!   It’s important to think about this from a kids perspective.  I should respond factually.  Should I say I have a vagina and not balls?   God no, what am I thinking - I’d be fired for that!   Do I look like a boy!   What is this discussion going to sound like to his parents if relayed back home?   I’m probably go to jail.   Do I really look like a boy! …*
me:  “What makes you think that?”
4 yo sprout: “’Cos I thought I saw some in the shed before and I want to play soccer!”

No comments: