Sunday, November 7, 2010

DIWALI DIYAS or FESTIVE TEA-LIGHT HOLDERS

UPDATE: FOR 2011 DIWALI IDEAS GO HERE!

 Our school recently held an Diwali Social and we made 'diyas' to decorate the rooms.
 The children were given a lump of clay, which they rolled into a ball (about the size of a large golfball), flattened a little, and then pinched into a little pot big enough to hold a tea-light.
 Although I demonstrated the process, I love how they all turned out different.  We used fast dry clay which hardened overnight (it is still VERY hot here in Dubai).
 Next we painted the pots with acrylic paint and finally, glazed with pva glue and a pinch of glitter.
 The children's diyas looked fabulous framing a rangoli design (made from coloured powder and glitter)
 ...and the floral rangoli
They even went up the stairs. 
They took us 3 days to make but it was worth it.
 Now they are ready to go home and I expect that many families will use them as Christmas decorations.

8 comments:

Art Project Girl said...

Wow! These are spectacular! The colors are amazing. I am so glad they dried so fast for you. I'm sure the heat has a lot to do with it as it is very cold in Connecticut:) I have to learn more about this celebration!

Phyl said...

Such wonderful bright, rich, colors. Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

great blog


[url=http://bradhsfxga.tumblr.com/]برامج[/url]
[url=http://bradhsfxga.tumblr.com/]برامج التحميل[/url]

Anonymous said...

هذا هو بلدي أنا أول مرة زيارة هنا. لقد وجدت الكثير من الاشياء في بلوق الخاص بك لا سيما مناقشتها. من طن من التعليقات على المواد الخاصة بك ، واعتقد انني لست الوحيد وجود جميع التمتع هنا! استمروا في العمل الجيد.

Anonymous said...

I love foundationteacherindubai.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Thanks.

Akhila Rakash said...

I love this collection of rangoli designs pictures and images. I'd love to share these to my friends on Diwali! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

What type of paints did you use? How much clay did u have to use. I would like to do something similar with my 20 students.