Thursday, September 16, 2010

MY CLASSROOM

I love checking out other teachers rooms for ideas and inspiration.  Although there are many things I would like to change about my room (but can't), I do like it very much.

The reading corner is comfortable and cosy.  I had a few tired little poppets fall asleep in it this week.  The base is constructed from three foam slabs and sold as a folding mattress.  It can be folded to create a very simple sofa shape.  I will do this on days when I want to create a bit more space for other activities.

I have decided not to give the children their own tray this year.  Instead I am going to fill the trays will exciting bits and pieces for creating and encourage the children to become creatively independent.  Over the next few weeks I will photograph the contents and then create a label to stick on the front.
The role play area is very bare.  I want the children to have input on how this space develops , so they will take it from here.

I am not a fan of loads of colour in the classroom.  I have tried to keep the room looking as tranquil as possible by trying to limit the colour palette.
I love adding plants.  I like to hang some streamers around the class as sometimes with all the low chairs and tables the classroom can look a bit bottom heavy.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

That is a gorgeous room!! well done!

jenny said...

So much to love Shar: Love the colour palate - very soothing and peaceful and right up my alley. But I am completely envious of your reading corner. I want to snuggle up there with a good book :) I also think it is a great idea to let the dramatic play area evolve. When I first started teaching I used to set it all up completely, with signs and god knows what else and often the kids would carry some of the stuff to another location and reset everything up there! They also missed out on all the learning that comes with being involved in the process. You live and learn!

Jeanette said...

Wow!!! I love your classroom so much! You have done an amazing job of creating a space that the children will surely enjoy and feel safe and comfortable in!! Can't wait to see future classroom pictures!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

It is so nice to look at the classrooms of other teachers. Like Jenny, I love your reading corner, it is so inviting.

shar said...

Goodness - thanks for the responses! :)

I have had the children for 4 days now and the book corner has been a great success - a lot more reading together and using the corner than last year.

I started my teaching in NZ where the kindergarten environment indoor and outdoor is amazing. We also had lots of workshops on creating 'spaces'. I was disappointed not to be able to find many photos though.

We had a couple of weeks back before the children because of Ramadan/Eid, so all the classrooms are looking particularly nice this year :)

Thank you again for all the lovely comments :)

Domestic CEO said...

I LOVE that reading corner. Did you make the tree yourself? It's beautiful!

shar said...

Yes, I did make the tree. It is just made from paper which I painted bark and knots and leaves onto. I covered the trunk with contact (sticky plastic book covering) to make it more durable. I asked the children this week if we should put something on the branches and they would like to see a nest. I will also little posters of our favourite books to make it a book tree. Thanks for the comment :)

Amy said...

love your room!!!! can I ask where you got the ABC's line hanging in your room?

shar said...

Thank you Amy. This is a GALT Alphabet frieze. I cut it up into individual letters (more versatile) and laminated them. http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/educational-toys/galt-alphabet-frieze.asp#buy

Art Project Girl said...

Your room is everything I ever dream of! It is so cheery and organized. Enjoy!!! I'm enjoying your blog!

Anonymous said...

A good article Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great, i found what i 've been lookin for

Anonymous said...

يبدو جيدا ، وأحب قراءة بلوق ، أضفته إلى المفضلة ؛)

KCA Early Learning Center said...

I LOVE your classroom!
What is your fabric divider attached to in the book corner? It looks attached to the floor.. I've tried similar ideas several times, but they always end up coming down. :)

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful blog. I love it.

Paintedpaper said...

What a beautiful space! I love how the room is so delightful and inviting! I am loving your display boards-esp the frog and lily pads :)

Laura