Friday, August 20, 2010

GOING ON A BEAR HUNT


We love Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen.   The children particularly love acting out the story.  Last year I tried an new activity related to the story and I think it turned out really well.  
I have the book and dvd set.  We read the book and watched the dvd on the interactive whiteboard then recreated the story ourselves.  I took photos of the children during various stages of their re-enactment.

Each day following this we focused on certain parts of the story.  The first day was 'swishy grass'.  I introduced the session with a powerpoint of several pictures featuring swishy grass.  We looked at all the different colours and used lots of words to describe what we saw.  Then the children created a collage of swishy grass.

The following day we looked at various pictures of rivers, again eliciting descriptive words.  The follow up art activity involved creating wax resist river pictures. 
The third day followed the same format.  The art activity was to finger paint with dirt and water (and glue) and smear it over black paper to make mud.
The fourth was a powerpoint on forests and woods.  We looked at how the trees in the foreground looked bigger than the trees in the background.  This was quite a challenging concept for most of the children. 
Finally we looked at snow and talked about snow flakes looking the same but all being different.  The children folded and cut shapes from paper doilies to create snowflakes.
To create the display I placed the individual art pieces together to form panels (and represent each child) and added the cut out photos.  Text was added using some of the descriptive words that the children came up with.
This year I am thinking of encouraging the children to create their own individual collage panel (from their various pieces of work as well as take responsibility for taking the photos and which photos they choose to put on their art.  I think they might come up with some really interesting ideas :)


ETA Some great ideas to go with the story from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots blog.

9 comments:

Centers and Circle Time said...

Aww, I love how little by little something awesome emerges! My kids love the "going on a bear hunt" by Greg and Steve. I usually play the song when I have to clean up, it give me a few moment while they're marching around the class going on a "bear hunt".

I love your site:) I'm glad I finally got a chance to come visit!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Fantastic!

Michelle said...

This is amazing, you should link up to stART on my blog sometime you have amazing ideas!!

shar said...

Thank you so much each of you, for the lovely feedback. Although my blog is primarily for myself (to organise and collect ideas) it is really nice to know that I am able to share ideas and give back in a small way to the people (you) that inspire me :)

Deb said...

I love this! I'm a huge fan of using a theme for a few days to build something up and really explore in more depth.

Louise said...

I bet the kids know the story off by heart by the end of this project! :)

shar said...

They sure do Louise. I like to have 'Going on a Bear Hunt' early in the year and then alter to fit a topic like - 'Going on a Dinosaur Hunt', 'Going on a Tiger Hunt', 'Going on a Rocket Trip' later on :)

Thanks Deb. Me too.

Deborah said...

Hi Char,
What I do is zoom in on the hands and action I am writing about. I find that the articles can be just as informative without worrying about showing the whole child. It is the process or action that I focus on rather than cute little faces:)

shar said...

Thanks so much for your response Deborah. It is great advice :)